Login Register Now
Greencross Vets News
  • Home
  • Greencross Vets News

What your pets shouldn't eat over Christmas

posted: 06/Dec/2016
While Christmas is a special occasion and a great time for sharing, many items on the Christmas lunch menu can cause health problems, behavioural issues, hyperactivity and obesity for animals. Here’s some foods your pets shouldn’t eat over the festive period:
 

Bones

Never feed your pet cooked bones, splinters of poultry bones as they are dangerous to dogs and cats and can become stuck in their throats or cause perforation or obstruction of the bowel, which can quickly become a life-threatening situation. 
 

Mince Pies

Grapes, raisins and sultanas all contain a toxin, which can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, increased drinking and urination. These signs are due to the kidneys being in trouble. These should be avoided. 
 

Stuffing

Stuffing contains onions and garlic, which can destroy red blood cells causing life-threatening anaemia. Other symptoms of toxicity include rapid breathing, pale gums, weakness vomiting and diarrhoea.
 

Chocolate

All chocolate is dangerous as it contains an ingredient known as theobromine that is toxic to pets. This ingredient is in all kinds of chocolate including white chocolate. The most dangerous kinds however are dark chocolate, chocolate mulch, and unsweetened baking chocolate. Chocolate toxicity causes a wide range of problems; pets begin to vomit, suffer diarrhoea, urinate excessively and become hyperactive. This can be followed by depression, coma, seizures and the result can be fatal. 
 

Nutmeg

High levels of nutmeg can result in seizures, tremors, central nervous system problems and even death.
 

Gravy 

Any gravy containing high levels of salt can cause kidney problems if given in excess.
 

Alcohol

Alcohol can cause deadly poisoning. Cats can be particularly attracted to cocktails containing cream such as White Russians and eggnog.
 
Did you know? The main concern for pets who overindulge in food, treats and Christmas goodies is that they are high in fat. A common condition that can result from pets eating table scraps and human foods is pancreatitis. This is a condition where the pancreas becomes severely inflamed and causes pain and discomfort and it can quickly become life threatening.
 
If your pet falls ill over the Christmas period contact your Greencross Vets as soon as possible. Remember, sometimes spending extra time playing or going for walks can be a better treat for pets than giving them extra food.
 


< Return to News Home