The Dangers Spring Can Bring
Spring has sprung and while there are many reasons to celebrate the arrival of warm sunshine and bright blooming flowers, it’s important to be mindful of the hidden dangers they may have in store for our pets. It is a misconception that animals avoid substances that may cause them problems. It is also wrong to assume that just because they have had a problem with something in the past they will avoid it in the future.
Flowering and non-flowering plants can lead to a variety of allergies. Many common kinds of grass, weeds and flowers all have the potential to disrupt your pet's outdoor adventures. Sometimes these allergies can be due to contact, while other times their irritating substance can be inhaled. Other plants and fruits are more dangerous when they are eaten.
Just like children, pets love to explore and try new things. Dogs and cats often explore by tasting, chewing and rolling on things that they shouldn’t. Plants, flowers and fruits are a common temptation to pets. Unfortunately, many of the common plants, springtime flowers and fruit trees can be found in our backyards, homes and parks have toxins that can be very harmful to our pets in more ways than one.
Ingestion of certain flowers, fruits and plants can cause toxicity in our pets with symptoms ranging from vomiting, diarrhoea, acute renal or cardiac failure and even intestinal obstructions.
Simply coming into contact with various allergy-causing plants and weeds can cause our pets to suffer an uncontrollable urge to scratch, lick, chew and rub at their skin until fur loss and dermatitis develops.
Identification of these worrisome plants allows avoidance and early recognition of the signs and symptoms that may become present in a pet that has had a reaction.
Below is an image containing allergy-causing plants and the table identifies toxic flowers and potentially harmful fruits and nuts that could create a dangerous situation if your pet was to investigate too closely.