Common Household Dangers for Pets - Articles of Interest Common Conditions - Pet Care Information from GreenCross Vets Australia
Login Register Now
Common Conditions - Articles of Interest - Common Household Dangers for Pets

Common Household Dangers for Pets

Many common household items can pose a serious threat to our canine companions and feline friends.

Our pets are naturally curious and their hunting instincts may lead them to tasting, chewing and rolling on things that they shouldn’t. We as pet owners need to be cautious about safeguarding our home and preparing for how to handle these potential pet emergencies.

While sharing food with your pet may seem relatively harmless, some of the most common foods that we indulge in are dangerous for our pets and if ingested can result in severe stomach pain, gastrointestinal irritation, vomiting and further health-related problems.

Some of the most common foods that are toxic to our pets include: 

  • Chocolate
  • Raisins
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Avocado
  • And Grapes

There are also a number of other ingestible toxins commonly found throughout the household and many people are surprised to learn that several plants and flowers are also a threat to our pets. These commonly include:

  • Cleaning products
  • Snail and rat poisons
  • Human medications

And backyard nasties such as:

  • The Sago Palm
  • Cyclamen
  • And lilies (with cats being exceptionally susceptible to)

The signs and symptoms of pet toxicity can vary depending on what has been ingested and which organs are affected. The onset can be immediate or take days to appear, however some common signs may include: 

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Depression/Lethargy
  • Drooling
  • Foaming at the mouth
  • Muscle tremors
  • And seizures 

If you think your pet has ingested a dangerous plant, food, chemical or medication it is important that you contact your local Greencross Vets clinic immediately on 1300 GREEN X. 

Preparing our pet care team members with information about your pet’s weight, what they have eaten, how much they’ve eaten and when it was ingested is also very helpful information to provide as soon as possible.

You can ensure that your pet is safe from household toxins by keeping dangerous food and medications out of reach and ensure that your potentially hazardous products are stored away safely in containers and cabinets.  

For a full list of household toxins, please visit greencrossvets.com.au or book an appointment to speak with your local Greencross veterinarian today.


Back to Articles of Interest articles.